Interpretation of Poem One - "Mending Wall" by Robert Frost

Thursday, February 25, 2010

"Mending Wall" - by Robert Frost

"Mending Wall", composed by Robert Frost aims to explore both physical boundaries, the wall for example, and metaphorical boundaries - the persona questioning the need for a wall in the first place. The persona questions the need of a wall the is being used to divide the neighbour's properties. The persona is portrayed as having always believed there was no real need for a wall.
"Before I built a wall I'd asked to know
What I was walling in or walling out
And to whom i was like to give offence"
The persona, who is not necessarily Frost himself, uses sarcastic tones to suggest that no matter how strongly the traditional farmer believes they are in need of a wall, he is desperately flawed in his outlook.
"I could sat 'Elves' to him,
But it's not elves exactly,and I'd rather
He said it for himself."
Leah Callaghan

No comments:

Post a Comment