Interpretation of Poem One - "Mending Wall" by Robert Frost

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Blog Three- Mending Wall by Robert Frost

The poem 'Mending Wall' by Robert Frost, explores physcial and mental boundaries. The persona outlines immense irony in the way the two men are brought together by a task that will ultimately keep them apart. He speaks in a questioning tone.

'There where it is we do not need the wall:
He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
My apple trees will never get across
And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.'

The persona is most certainly against the idea of a wall and thinks it is useless. The persona thinks that human interaction and co-operation more vital.

'Before I build a wall I'd ask to know,
what I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was giving offence.

No comments:

Post a Comment